Monday, April 20, 2009

Grandchildren are Gods compensation for growing older

When one views the first star of the evening through the eyes of a grandchild, nothing can be more joyous. Sunday evening I had the rare opportunity of playing grandma lifeguard, while my grandchildren enjoyed a sunset swim. My youngest granddaughter had become somewhat waterlogged from an afternoon of swimming and wanted out of the pool. She immediately hoped into my lap, as I swaddled her in a warm, over sized beach towel. She snuggled into my lap and I wrapped my arms gently around her shivering frame. Suddenly, her curious little head looked heavenward and she gleefully shouted to her siblings, still swimming in the pool, that she had just seen the first star of the evening and had "dibs" on making the first wish. With a twinkle in my eye, I asked her what she would wish for. Without hesitation she reminded me that if she told her wish, it would not come true. I smiled and told her to make a silent wish. She closed her eyes tightly and wished something very profound, I am sure. Suddenly, the other grandchildren left the pool and sat next to us, wrapped in their towels, seated on cement still warm from the day's sun. For an unmeasurable time, we all sat with our heads heavenward and gazed at the unfolding array of stars appearing in the night sky. We found Saturn, Orion's belt, the big dipper, Betelgeuse and pulsars... and shared an unforgettable moment in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment