Monday, February 23, 2009

Should we be afraid of artificial inteligence?

Not too long ago I saw the movie, Eagle Eye. It provoked me to contemplate advanced artificial intelligence.

Is the creation of a free thinking artificial intelligence a peril or a blessing? Science and medicine already achieve better science and safer medicine using robots.

Also, should the world's ethicists be discussing and establishing rights to protect artificial intelligence from misuse and abuse? If we do give protection to such artificial life forms, where do we draw the line? How would we define artificial intelligence vs. artificial life? There have been numerous movies and sci-fi novels that deal with this topic. How do you feel about it? I will look forward to reading your comments. Linda

2 comments:

  1. I desperately want to see Eagle Eye, but haven't had the chance yet.

    I think that AI has the potential to be terribly dangerous, but can also be very useful. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it.

    As for giving them rights...yow. That's difficult. I'd say that artificially intelligent machines should not have rights because they are just that - machines. I don't give my computer the same treatment I give my mother or my friends. If humanity could eventually design a robot/machine that would be able to really think for itself as humans do, as opposed to reacting based upon set algorithms or prompts, then I'm not entirely sure.

    These are really good questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks alquicksilver for your thoughts. I think that in the not-too-distant future this topic will become a huge ethics question; an issue that all will have to come to terms with. I, for one, am not ready to face the ramifications but know we must be ethical and humane in our response.

    ReplyDelete